There are many things you can do to reduce the amount of sodium in your diet.
1. Avoid adding salt to food at the table or while cooking.
2. Avoid commercially prepared and packaged foods whenever possible.
3. Limit intake of highly processed or salty snacks.
4. Limit canned foods.
5. Stay away from fast food items.
6. Use sauces, gravies, and condiments sparingly.
7. Limit processed deli meats and cheeses.
8. Limit beverages that are high in sodium.
9. Be aware that baking powder and baking soda contain sodium too.
10. Read all nutrition labels carefully for sodium content. Pay special attention to serving size and servings per container.
11. Seek out lower sodium versions of traditionally high sodium items by looking for the following phrases on food labels: