Makes 8 tacos (1 taco per serving)
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons homemade or low-sodium prepared salsa, divided
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can (1¾ cup) unsalted black beans, rinsed, drained
- 8 small (6-inch) whole-grain tortillas
- 2 cups leafy green lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced into eighths
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Shred drained tofu with a grater. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add tofu, mushrooms, onions, garlic, 2 tablespoons salsa, taco seasoning, and soy sauce. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are tender. Meanwhile, heat black beans (in the microwave or over the stove) until warm. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute.
To assemble tacos: Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup tofu-mushroom mixture, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1/4 tomato, 1 slice of avocado, 2 tablespoons cheese (if using) and 1 tablespoon salsa.
Nutritional information per serving: 244 calories, 10 g protein, 10 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 217 mg sodium.