Its important to know what to do when you notice serious heart failure symptoms. Post the following information near the phone or in a place where you can get to it easily.
Call 911 for urgent help if you have
- new chest pain or discomfort for more than 15 minutes that does not ease up with rest or nitroglycerin
- fast or irregular heartbeat that doesnt go away and causes dizziness or lightheadedness
- coughing that produces frothy or pink sputum
- severe shortness of breath that doesnt ease up
- a feeling that you may faint
Call your clinician immediately if you experience
- new or increased shortness of breath while resting
- weight gain of 2 pounds or more over two days or 5 pounds in a week
- breathing problems that interfere with sleep, such as waking up suddenly short of breath
- inability to lie flat
- the need to sleep sitting up or with more pillows than normal
- lightheadedness or the feeling that you may pass out.